Sunday, December 6, 2009

Savoring the Season

A strand of cabin Christmas lights, waiting to be hung.



Last weekend I strung the lights at the cabin and put them on a timer so that they come on every night at dusk. I use the old-fashioned kind with big bulbs and bright colors. The kind from my childhood. The kind that light up your heart and make you happy. Mama and Lamar can see them from their den window -- in the distance, a warm Christmas greeting from me, every night of the season.

This weekend I did a little decorating around home as well. A simple white poinsettia. A burgundy one too. A few lights here and there. My favorite candle for the season, Aunt Sadie's Christmas Tree in a Can. And George Winston's December played the first of many, many times.

Savor this season. Pull out a few of your favorite things. Have some friends over for a toast. Go for a walk in the winter woods. Light a candle and listen to your favorite music. Snuggle up with a good dog on a cold Sunday and rest. Slow down and enjoy. Remember what really matters.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I love the old fashion big bulbs! I bet the cabin looks beautiful! I don't think I'll be decorating this year.

I hope to see you on NYE at B & M's annual party! :-)

Lori

Pat said...

Lori, it's good to hear from you! I'll see you on NY's Eve.