Friday, September 30, 2011

Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry with Cauliflower Rice

Stir Fry with Cauliflower Rice

For dinner tonight I made a beef and vegetable stir fry with cauliflower rice.  I cooked steak and veggies in a little coconut oil and seasoned the dish with tamari (gluten free soy sauce), garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper.  To make the cauliflower rice, I rough chopped a head of cauliflower, steamed it for about 10 minutes (or less), then riced it in the food processor using the shredder blade.    The cauliflower rice soaks up the flavor of the stir fry and bulks up the dish, serving the same purpose as traditional rice at a fraction of the carbs and calories.  

By the way, it was not obvious to me which food processor attachment I should use to make cauliflower rice.  The first time I made it (last week), I used the standard S-blade.  This is a mixing/chopping blade that sits at the bottom of the bowl.  It is not the right blade to use for ricing or shredding vegetables.  Use the shredding disc that sits at the top of the bowl on a pedestal.  Then load the cauliflower through the feeding tube.  It gets riced and drops to the bottom of the bowl with no further processing.  Maybe this is obvious to you, but it was not to me.  I'm no wiz in the kitchen, but I eventually figured it out.

This is a perfectly paleo dish - just meat and vegetables.   Give it a try.


Cauliflower Rice

No comments: