Friday, November 25, 2011

Orange Cranberry Walnut Salad


Orange Cranberry Walnut Salad with Orange-Ginger Dressing

I used to make Orange Cranberry Walnut Bread every year for Thanksgiving. I would make it the morning of Thanksgiving, and when my family arrived, the comforting aroma filled the house. I served it warm from the oven with coffee. It was my own little tradition, my way of showing them love and putting my personal stamp on the holiday. Plus, let's be honest, it gave me yet another vehicle for maximizing the sugar in my diet. 

Inspired by that memory, this year I made a kale salad with oranges, cranberries, and walnuts. It was delicious and beautiful. And healthy.  Here's my recipe.

Orange Cranberry Walnut Salad

1 bunch of kale, cleaned, deveined, and chopped
3 oranges, peeled, sectioned, and chopped into bite size pieces
~1/2 cup of dried cranberries
~1/2 cup of toasted walnuts

Combine all ingredients except the walnuts in a bowl.  Drizzle with Orange-Ginger Dressing and toss to coat all the kale.  Kale leaves are hearty and stand up well to the dressing. You can toss this an hour or more before ready to serve, and it will hold up just fine. It is actually better if it sits with the dressing for a while before serving. When ready to serve, add the walnuts and toss.

Orange-Ginger Dressing
~1/3 cup of fresh-squeezed orange juice
~1/3 cup good extra virgin olive oil
~ 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight lid. Shake well to combine.

No comments: