Thursday, July 4, 2013

Grain-Free Coconut Flour Muffins

These coconut flour muffins remind me of an English muffin.

These grain-free muffins are made entirely from coconut flour. I have wanted to try baking with coconut flour instead of almond flour, and I finally got around to it. The typical muffin recipe using coconut flour calls for ½ cup of flour to 6 eggs. So you get a higher protein content, and the ratio of flour to eggs makes for a lighter muffin than does almond flour. I have to admit that these are not as wonderful as my Carrot Banana Muffins, but these aren't meant to be a treat. I don't want to be tempted by these in any way. I just want the option of having a piece of toasted "bread" with my breakfast. And these fit the bill for that without having to worry that I will eat them all before sundown.


Now, I'm not planning to eat LOTS of coconut flour baked goods, but there is a compelling case to be made that coconut flour is a better option than almond flour for grain-free baked goods. You can read about it here.

There are all kinds of muffin recipes out there using coconut flour, and I’m sure you can make a delicious, slightly sweet muffin, if that’s what you want. But I’m trying to slay my sweet tooth (again, and always), and the only way to do that is to stop eating sweet stuff. So I tried a recipe from the 21-Day Sugar Detox and BalancedBites. This muffin is rather plain and not the least bit sweet, but I like them split and toasted with butter. They remind me a little of an English muffin; they even have nooks and crannies.

You could easily add other ingredients to spice things up. Just google “paleo coconut flour muffins” and you’ll find a ton of ideas.

Following is the recipe I used. (The Balanced Bites recipe had some missing instructions, which caused confusion, so rather than linking to their recipe, I’m including what I did here.)


Grain-Free Coconut Flour Muffins
 from Balanced Bites
(Yield: Approximately 12 conservative-sided muffins)

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1/4 cup melted grass-fed butter or coconut oil

1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

pinch of salt
parchment muffin tin liners

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Line the muffin tin with parchment paper muffin cups. Use the parchment ones to avoid sticking.   Coconut flour bakes goods WILL STICK otherwise.
    Whisk eggs in a bowl.
     Add in the melted coconut oil or butter.
    Add in the coconut milk.
    In a separate bowl, sift together the coconut flour, baking powder, and salt.
    Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.  The batter will be thick.
    Divide the mixture among the 12 muffin cups (each about half full).
    Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes or until the muffins are set and edges begin to turn golden brown.
    Let cool for 20 minutes or so before serving to avoid muffins sticking to the parchment. 

No comments: