Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Best Laid Plan


I was inspired by Melissa to plan ahead for next week. So I drew up a menu for Monday through Friday, made a shopping list, and actually went to Publix yesterday to buy what I needed. I decided to make three items over the weekend: vegetable soup, chicken chili, and roast turkey breast.

The vegetable soup is an old Weight Watcher standby recipe. It's made with all "zero-point vegetables" (that's the non-starchy ones). Having this soup on hand allows me to have a bowl with lunch everyday if I want; somehow the bowl of soup is a lot more satisfying than munching on raw carrots and celery. I made a pot of this soup yesterday along with Crock Pot White Chicken Chili. The chicken chili recipe is also from Weight Watchers, but this is the first time I've made it. I threw everything in the crock pot yesterday morning, and had a bowl for dinner. It's pretty good, but I had to spice it up more than the recipe indicated. Today I plan to cook the turkey breast, and then I'll be set for the week. It's kind of nice having home-cooked food in the house.

If you are interested, click here to see the menu I put together for next week. Since I'm doing Weight Watchers, I included the weight watcher points values. But I try to keep zone-style eating in mind so you'll notice that most of the meals and snacks include protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats.

7 comments:

Meeks said...

Way to plan Pat! I went to the store yesterday so that I would have good sources of protein in the house but no specific meal plan and I should be at my house a lot this week.

My 9 week challenge:
Exercise: sub 15 min Fran
Nutrition:
-80% of meals in the zone
-20% of DAYS weighing/measuring and eating right # of blocks

-80% of days with <=2 beverages with artificial sweetner
-one 3 day stretch of NO diet cokes

Pat said...

I'm still trying to nail down my goals for the Challenge. I think I have them set, but I need official approval from Shana. Here's what I think they are:


Nutrition:
- lose 2 inches in my waist (I'm still in discussion with Shana on this one).
-Follow WW and keep food journal with emhapsis on emotions
-Maintain this blog with regular reports on what I'm learning and working on.


Fitness:
- run a mile in under 9 minutes (still need Shana's approval). My committment is to run the mile 3 times per week.
I am working on pullups too, but since I have so many issues with my pullups right now, I decided not to set that as my 9 week goal.

Shana A. said...

Pat, you really put a lot of work into that. Well done.

Shana A. said...

Any requests on what you'd like to see in the rest day wod tomorrow?

Pat said...

Thanks, Shana.

I could go for some db swings and box jumps. Burpees are always good for me to practice since I am awful at them...but just 5 per round (10 max) would make me really happy...or not quite so miserable is probably a better way to put it.

Shana A. said...

Too late. It's gonna be dumbbells... and running...

Pat said...

That sounds great!