Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Decision and One Ounce of Discipline

"Snow on the Long Leaf"
Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge
photograph by Jack Culpepper


Today was weigh-in day for me. Down 1.2 pounds, and I am pleased. It may not sound like much, but I have worked so hard to turn things around and get headed in the right direction. So much of the battle for me is mental and emotional. Scratch that. 98% of the battle for me is mental and emotional. And add to that the fact that my body seems to have declared recently, with a vengeance that "I am 48, and I no longer want to let go of body fat!" Talk about frustration! I have been so frustrated with my failure to drop the weight that I think my efforts deserve. So when I stepped on the scale today and Charlotte told me I was down 1.2, I was thrilled.

This week I cranked up my activity a little. Research shows that people who want to lose weight need 60-90 minutes of moderate exercise most days for the greatest success. So when the CrossFit workout is 20 minutes, even though it is an intense 20 minutes, I need to add more activity to my day--especially since my normal routine is so sedentary. I sit at a desk all day long. And the desk I sit at is in my own house, for goodness sake! I don't even have to walk to my car. So this girl has to make a point to MOVE. This week I added a little jogging on a couple of days, I increased my walking, and I did some yard work over the weekend. Oh, and I went shopping several different times which involves moving your body around the mall. Shopping is good.

I also kept my food diary this week. Fact is that people who keep a food diary eat less food. I've just got to do it. It's worth it, and it's not that hard. I mean it's not like it requires any skill or smarts or hard work or even much effort to keep a food diary. All it takes is a decision and about one ounce of discipline. I can write down what I put in my mouth. If I want to lose the weight I will write it down. It's as simple as that.

I'm off to St Simons for the weekend to attend Rachel's wedding and for a little R&R. Have a great weekend everyone! See you on the blog next week.

1 comment:

Byron said...

Congratulations on doing what you wanted to do! Determination is a good thing! Safe travels! See you soon!