Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Lost Treasure Found

The Lake at Lullwater Park on Emory Campus


Do you know that great feeling you get when you find something precious that you had lost? You lost it so long ago that you were not even looking for it anymore; you had forgotten all about it. And then you stumble upon it--in the pocket of an old coat or beneath the silk lining of your fancy clutch purse. That's the feeling I had tonight when I went for a walk at Lullwater Park. I haven't walked at Lullwater Park since before I started CrossFit. I used to walk there regularly with a good friend. But life changed, and I got busy doing other things.

Well tonight I came home from the gym, grabbed Melvin's leash, and we headed out for a walk. And then I stopped a few yards from the house and said to Melvin, "do you want to go walk at Lullwater Park?" He looked up from whatever he was sniffing, cocked his head to one side and tried really hard to understand what I was saying. "Let's go walk at Lullwater Park; let's do it!" He ran to me with great excitement, not sure exactly what we were about to do, but very happy to participate in whatever I had in mind. As we drove to Lullwater, Melvin peered out the passenger window with joyful anticipation. As soon as his paws hit the pavement of the parking lot, he knew exactly where he was. No need for me to lead the way. He walked me, pulling me along the exact route we last walked nearly two years ago.

It felt great to rediscover this lost treasure. I plan to return there regularly. I don't want to lose it again.

__________________________________________________________________________________
If you are not familiar with Lullwater, you should check it out. It's a gem hidden inside the city. It is the perfect place for walking and jogging. There are excellent paths and trails through the wooded, rolling terrain. There is a suspension bridge, a lake, geese, ducks, turtles, and even a Great Blue Heron! There is a large grassy lawn for reclining or frisbee or whatever. It's a great place for an escape, and it is just minutes away. I think the easiest way to access Lullwater is via the Emory Clairmont Campus. You can park for free after 6pm and on weekends at the Clifton School.

4 comments:

Byron said...

I wish I were there to walk with you and Melvin in Lullwater Park. It is so beautiful! The last time I was there, I went out for a run with Herb and that guy who ran the marathon in the Olympics. What made me think I could run with those two still amazes me, but I did it! I think they slowed the pace just for me, but it was fun! We need to meet there soon and have a walkabout. We have no hills in the Coastal Empire! I never thought I would say it, but I miss them!

Pat said...

Byron, Next time you are in Atlanta, we'll walk there and invite all the blogsters to join us.

The Orkins said...

I never knew about Lullwater Park! I can't wait to explore it. I had a nice park and lake by my old apartment and loved it. I am thrilled to know about Lullwater! Can't wait to discover it for myself. Sounds like a fun place to go on the weekends, then grab a nice brunch!

Sheryl McCalla said...

Pat, I haven't been to Lullwater since law school. That means 17 years! I too will rediscover it.