Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Good Dog Story

Melvin at dog-friendly Jekyll Island


Why do people write sad, tragic stories about animals? Especially dogs! I'm reading this book, Gods in Alabama, and I just finished a chapter with a horrible story about the death of the family dog, Buddy. It upset me so much that I had to get out of bed to try and get my mind on something else. There were two other deaths in the same chapter--a man and a young boy. And the book opened with a murder. (My goodness, this is a dark book! Maybe too dark for my sensitive nature and fragile mood.) But it was the death of Buddy that did me in. Ms. Jackson may be too raw and depressing for me. Not sure if I will be able to finish Gods in Alabama. I'll see how I feel tomorrow and how the next chapter starts out.

For now I'm thinking about my beloved Melvin who is sleeping at my feet in the foot-well of my desk. Anytime I'm at the computer, that's probably where you will find him. Earlier tonight he was resting happily in one of the piles of dirty laundry I had sorted on the bedroom floor. He loves my dirty laundry; I take that as a compliment. Another favorite resting spot is the air vent where he plops down after a walk or game of fetch. And have I shared how he lets me know it is time to play? Almost everyday around 5pm he leaves the office and returns a short time later. "Click, click, click." His nails on the hardwood floor. "Bump-bumpity-bump-bump." Tennis ball dropped and bounced my way. Big smile! Warm heart! I grab the ball, and we head outside.

Now that's a good dog story!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________


"I like to think happy thoughts."
~ my grandmother ~

3 comments:

Rachel Nye said...

Pat you don't have to finish that book if it is too tough and sad! I was once told there is no reason to keep reading a book that just doesn't appeal to the reader, reading is suppose to be enjoyable and relaxing! It reminds me of the movie " Marley and Me", I thought it was terrible, there were no reason for some of the scenes. I am finally catching up on your blog, now that the computer is up and running. I love the posts with your mom and the art work. I hope you can make it to the art studio, that is beautiful work they have! Hope all is well for you, I hope May with all its drama has passed and on to bigger and better things!

PS I just remembered I dreamed about you last night!!! Something about us working out, you looked fit and fantastic!

Pat said...

Hey Rae! It's so good to have you back on the blog! I have refused to see the movie "Marley and Me." I was warned by another animal-lover friend.

And I love your dream! ;-)

Unknown said...

I know that I won't be reading that book, but I loved Melvin's story. Being the mother of 3 pugs & a teenage (14.5 yr)peekapoo, I love happy dog stories. Animals ask for nothing other than their love & food!!