Friday, September 18, 2009

Mediterranean Sea Bass

Mediterranean Sea Bass
Recipe courtesy of
Erica Stelten,
Registered Dietitian and Life Coach

My friend, Erica, who also happens to be a registered dietitian and life coach, gave me several of her favorite fish recipes. I've never been a fish-eater, and I certainly don't know how to prepare it. So I asked Erica for help, and she came through with several easy, yummy-sounding recipes. Wednesday night I tried Mediterranean Sea Bass. I bought wild-caught sea bass at Whole Foods. It was pre-cut into 6-ounce portions. That's good for me; even though I've gone mostly paleo, this "cave-woman" doesn't like to handle raw meat or fish anymore than she has to. Erica said this recipe also works well with halibut. And I think it would be great with chicken too. While I was eating it, I thought to myself, "I love this sauce so much, I could just eat it with no meat . . . or over some pasta!" =o) Temporary mental relapse. But that's no surprise since eating lots of carbs and very little protein is how I got to where I am today. I won't be serving this sauce over pasta, but I will be making it again soon. Canned tomatoes, capers, and black olives are now staples in my pantry.

Mediterranean Sea Bass

1.5 pounds of sea bass fillets
3 T fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
2 T olive oil
4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped (or use canned)
1 onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
½ cup pitted black or green olives
½ cup capers
¼ tsp dried oregano

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place sea bass in a single layer in a 13- X 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Bake, covered, for 20-25 minutes.

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, olives, and capers; saute until onions are translucent and tomatoes and bell pepper are tender. Stir in oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Pour sauce over fish. Bake, covered for another 15-20 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.
Note: Bake time may vary depending on the thickness of the fish.

2 comments:

Erica said...

Hi Pat! It was great seeing you this morning. Just getting caught up on your blog. As always, great stuff. Your seabass dish looks awesome! I just bought some last night at Whole Foods too. I am in need of some almond pancakes soon, so that's my next thing to try.

Pat said...

Hi Erica, thanks for the comment. Hope you like the pancakes.