Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Welcome, September!

Cardinal Flower is in bloom now at Lullwater Park, signaling that Fall is just around the corner.


Welcome, September! I love fall, and even though it's not officially Autumn yet, September starts the season for me. On my walks recently at Lullwater Park, I felt a hint of fall with the late season wildflowers starting to bloom. If you can, treat yourself to some walks there and watch the season change. (I've written previously about Lullwater Park. If you are new to the blog, check out my post, "A Lost Treasure Found" for more information.)


September
by John Updike


The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-

Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.

The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.

Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

5 comments:

Sheryl McCalla said...

Beautiful poem. Time for me to go back to Lullwater!

Sheryl McCalla said...

Re: you last post, thanks for some ideas. Cooking has become more of a priority and actually far more enjoyable to me since I started my new life phase. And I'm finding some balance with the kids (and myself). Helping them to understand nutrition, but realizing that their bodies are so efficient they do not have to eat quite like I do and more importantly I don't want them to think in extremes and be hyper-conscious about every bite they put in their mouths. So, for example, pancakes will not be forever banned from the house. Today I agreed to keep the cottage cheese out of the pancakes, but included the ground flax seeds. :) I'm still a big believer in the benefit of Omega 3s.

Pat said...

Sheryl, I ran across a recipe for pancakes using almond flour. I will try them out and let you know how they are. Still might not make the kids happy, but I'll let you know if they make me happy.
;-)

Erica said...

Hello Pat! I've missed you! I am back from my very long and wonderful trip. I was very curiuos to hear how you were doing with your new way of eating so I caught up on all of your posts. Sounds amazing! I can't wait to hear more about it and catch up. I'd love to come by Crossfit RX again - maybe friday or next week? - to work out with you.

Pat said...

Hi Erica! Welcome home. I won't be at the gym on Friday. I'll be there Saturday, Sunday, and Monday mornings, rest Tuesday and then again on Wed, Thu, and Friday of next week.