Monday, August 31, 2009

Fascinating and Infuriating

Big brother, Jack and me in March, 2008.
________________________________________

All great truths begin as blasphemies.
George Bernard Shaw
_______________________________________
Several people have asked me to post more meal ideas. So today I thought I would just post what I've eaten recently. My brother was visiting over the last three days so I used that as an opportunity to do more cooking than I might otherwise. He was very supportive of my new way of eating and embraced it wholeheartedly. He stole my copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories (by Gary Taubes) and was glued to it every chance he got. We finally went out and bought him a copy so that I could have mine back. I highly recommend this book. But it is not an easy, quick read. And the title is a little misleading. This is not a book about what to eat as much as it is about the history of recommended nutrition guidelines and the science that led us to where we are today. For anyone interested in eating a healthy diet and knowing the FACTS, this is a must-read. It is very well researched and documented. It is fascinating. And sometimes infuriating. Read it and you will understand.

But back to practical matters. I continue to have very few cravings, and when I do they are easily managed. Here's what I ate over the last several days.

ThursdayDinner
Leon's in downtown Decatur

Jack had the pan roasted halibut which was served on a salad of thinly sliced summer squash. He loved it. I had scallops served with spinach and corn. I ate just a little of the corn because, as you know, corn is very starchy, and this particular corn was very sweet. I would not order this again but would highly recommend the halibut. We both had a class of red wine with dinner.

FridayBreakfast
Scrambled eggs, bacon, and sliced tomatoes.
Coffee with cream.

Lunch
Salad of grilled chicken, avocado, tomatoes, blueberries, mixed greens, oil & vinegar dressing.

Dinner
Bison tenderloin steaks
Vegetable stir fry (asparagus, green beans, red bell pepper, squash, okra, jalapeno pepper)
Sliced tomatoes
1/2 small baked sweet potato with butter.


Snacks
If I get hungry between meals, I have a handful of nuts, alone or with a little fruit. I might have a piece of good cheese instead of the nuts. Or even some leftover chicken salad or stir fry.

SaturdayBreakfast
Fried eggs with bacon and strawberries. Coffee with cream.

Lunch
Ted's Montana Grill
I had a grilled chicken salad with blue cheese dressing. I could only eat half and brought the other half home. Very good. I recommend it. Jack had the brick chicken topped with onions and mushrooms, asparagus, and broccoli. He enjoyed it and said he would order it again.

DinnerSpaghetti squash with meat sauce
Wedge salad with blue cheese dressing and bacon
Fresh figs for dessert.



SundayBreakfast
Scrambled eggs with bacon and sliced tomatoes.
Coffee with cream.



LunchLeftovers:
I had the leftover salad that I brought home from Ted's. Jack had some leftover bison tenderloin and vegetable stir fry.

Dinner
Leftovers:
Spaghetti Squash and Meat Sauce
Vegetable Stir Fry
Fresh Figs

1 comment:

The Orkins said...

That all looks great Pat! We were wondering who's Government SUV that was in front of your house all weekend...guess it belonged to your brother. Sounds like you 2 had a great visit.