Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Very Well Worn Groove

Snack Time Re-invented.
Chicken, almonds, and strawberries.


Yesterday was a much better day than Monday. After hearing about how I felt on Monday, Laura's advice to me was to be sure I was eating enough protein and fat. (Laura is Laura DeMarco, owner and trainer at CrossFit Rx where I now workout). I know I started out eating enough protein and fat. But as the days went by and I realized I wasn't feeling hungry or craving sweets, I decided I could outsmart this whole thing by eating less of everything. That way I could lose weight faster. I had visions of "skinny-by-Christmas". Aargh! I don't even want to be skinny; I want to be healthy and lean. So it's amazing how quickly I slipped into a diet-mentality. It is a very well worn groove in my psyche for sure!

My first reaction to Laura's advice, "be sure you are eating enough protein and fat," was an immediate, "of course I'm eating enough! I'm probably eating too much." But when I stopped to think about it, I realized she might be right. Since Saturday, I had been eating less of everything since I wasn't feeling hungry. By Monday, it caught up with me, and I was feeling anxious, depressed, and craving sweets again.

There really is something to this low-carb lifestyle. For me, anyway. It may not be for everyone, but I feel so much better when I omit the refined carbs AND get enough of the other good stuff. It's funny that what I resisted for so long because it seemed too extreme now seems to make so much sense. All these refined foods have only been around for a relatively short time, and they are all created or manufactured by man. Why am I surprised that I feel so much better when I eat the food that God made?
___________________________________________________________________
"One is unable to notice something -- because it is always before one's eyes."
~ Ludwig Wittgenstein ~

2 comments:

Erica said...

Amen sister!

Unknown said...

I also struggle w fat, lots of the cfed guys use avocados as a source. I stick with nuts and lots of fruits, and aims butter. Don't forget that olive oil also counts. Congrats on eating milestones, it's definitely one day at a time.