Tuesday, August 25, 2009

On Top of That

Dessert
Fresh blueberries and strawberries with macadamia nuts


Things are a little hectic around my house this week. I have a sick cat. Teddie, my 15 year-old feline developed a big fat lower lip on Sunday. I took him to the emergency vet and the doctor determined that he had an abscessed tooth. Several hours and $450 later, I brought him home wearing one of those Elizabethan collars (the cat, not me), along with pain meds, antibiotics, and instructions for round-the-clock care. If you have ever tried to give medicine to a cat, or get a cat to do anything he doesn't want to do, then you understand.

On top of dealing with a sick cat, one of my neighbors just got a new puppy. Since I work from home, love dogs, and apparently cannot control myself when it comes to offering to help people in a jam, I volunteered to walk him at lunch time this week until she can get him in puppy day-care.

On top of that, I am keeping my brother's dog, JC this week while my brother attends a conference. My brother, Jack and JC arrived last night about 5pm. So I had two house guests overnight -- my brother and his dog. Melvin is thrilled to have another dog in the house. I cooked a delicious (if I do say so myself) dinner of salmon and vegetables with fresh berries for dessert. (It was also visually appealing, but I forgot to take a picture to share with you). Jack and I talked up a storm and went for a walk after dinner. All very nice. A little hectic, but nice.

So it's 8am on Tuesday, and I have cooked breakfast, put the trash and recycle out by the street, seen my brother off on his trip, walked Melvin and JC, cleaned the kitchen, nursed the sick cat, showered, dressed, and written a blog about it. Whew. Now it's time to get to work. This must be a taste of how you mothers feel everyday.