Sunday, September 13, 2009

Primal Breakfast Muffins

Primal Breakfast "Muffins"


Today's Primal Breakfast "Muffins" are inspired by recipes I've used in the past and one that I saw recently on Mark's Daily Apple. You can make up a batch of these on Sunday, and then have them for breakfast all week. Two of these with a little fruit makes a great breakfast. I will just pop two in the microwave for a few seconds, add some berries or orange slices, and I've got breakfast. Following is my recipe.


Primal Breakfast "Muffins"

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan. Be sure to grease well. Or you could use disposable muffin cups I suppose. I placed a spinach leaf in the bottom of each muffin cup...just for fun and because I thought it would be pretty. Pretty is important to me. ;-)

3/4 pound ground pork (or whatever meat you choose)
fennel seed crushed (couple of teaspoons)
salt & pepper
Combine the above ingredients in a non-stick skillet. Cook until meat is browned. Set aside.

a little olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
2 hands full of fresh baby spinach, chopped
salt & pepper to taste (optional)
1/3 cup grated cheese (I used a sharp cheddar)

Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Add the onion and red bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Add the mushrooms when the onion and pepper are almost ready. Add the spinach at the very end for just a minute or two. Combine the vegetable mixture with the prepared meat. Add the cheese and mix well. Divide among 12 muffin cups.

6 eggs
a little milk, cream, or half & half
salt and pepper

Combine the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix well. Divide among the 12 muffin cups, pouring over-top the meat & vegetable mixture. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so.

I ate one before I remembered to take the picture. Two make a meal (for me). One is good for a snack or mini-meal.

No comments: