Tuesday, September 22, 2009

When Biscuits Fly

Lettuce Wraps
Bacon, avocado, and tomato topped with avocado-mayo


This rain has been crazy! I was so glad to see some blue sky and sun today. I hope it sticks around and gives everyone time to dry out. I'm praying for my friends and neighbors who are dealing with flooded basements and dens.

Today for lunch I made the lettuce wraps pictured above. I chopped up 1/2 an avocado, drizzled it with fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. Then I added some chopped tomato and several slices of crumbled bacon. Topped it off with avocado-mayo -- which is just a little mayo with smashed avocado mixed in. It was yummy, quick, and easy.

I also wanted to report on a meal I had last week at Flying Biscuit. If you are like me, having good options for dining out is important. I went there for lunch and ordered an omelet. Choices for sides include grits, potatoes, and mixed greens. I opted for the mixed greens which made it easy to keep the carbs low. Of course Flying Biscuit is known for their biscuits. I had a small bite of one after the meal, but decided it just wasn't worth it. It did not taste as good as I remembered, and I was perfectly satisfied after my omelet and mixed greens. I left the fluffy, sugar-topped biscuit sitting on the plate. Six or seven weeks ago, I could not have imagined that I would resist that biscuit so easily, that it would not even be a big temptation to me. I thought such a change was impossible -- something I might attain when biscuits fly . . . Well, apparently they do.

3 comments:

TPoole said...

Lol Pat! Your food always looks so yummy!

I'm not ready to do primal but I started a gluten-free diet today. It's supposed to help with migraines - we'll see. I have to say that the thing I will miss most is beer (I am from Wisconsin after all and have been drinking it for almost 30 years..., the rest I can probably do without!

Pat said...

Therese, thanks for the comment! Good luck with gluten-free...my brother-in-law and nephew have celiac disease so I've been familar with gluten-free for a while now. I hear there is gluten-free beer. I'm not a beer drinker, so I can't comment on whether it is any good.

Rachel Nye said...

LOL!!! Congrats on letting that biscuit fly! Good work Pat!!! Are you going to Jax's get together, if so have a wonderful time, wish I was there with you guys, miss you bunches!!!

XOXO,
Rae