Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Good Fall Fare

Steak
Brussel Sprouts with Apple and Bacon
Mashed Acorn Squash


I tried a couple of new side dishes for dinner last night that make good fall fare. Brussel Sprouts with Apple and Bacon was yummy and satisfying. I have seen this combination in recipes before, but I didn't follow a recipe. I just threw it together. Here is what I did. Steam some brussel sprouts until crisp-tender. Cook a couple of slices of bacon. Saute some chopped apple in a little of the bacon drippings. Add the steamed brussel sprouts to the sauteed apples. Season with cracked black pepper. Add the crumbled bacon and serve.

I also tried acorn squash for the first time. I have seen lots of recipes for it lately in magazines so I wanted to give it a try. Of course all the recipes and pictures I saw seemed to have it topped with brown sugar, syrup, honey, or the like. That would defeat the purpose of me trying it in the first place. So I just sliced the squash in half and baked it at 400 degrees for about 90 minutes. Then I scooped out the tender flesh and mashed it with a little butter, salt and pepper.
I enjoyed these two sides with a New York Strip Steak and a glass of wine. I recommend them both.
Brussel Sprouts with Apple and Bacon

2 comments:

The Orkins said...

Looks great! I bought some brussel sprouts at Publix this weekend and need to make them tonight. They have been in every magazine recently, so lots of options. I also have an acorn squash just sitting on my counter, waiting to be consumed. Maybe I will copy your side dishes tonight. Yum!

Pat said...

Cool. Hope you enjoy!