Sunday, October 25, 2009

This Little Island

Driftwood Beach on Jekyll Island


I just returned home from a few days at Jekyll Island. The weather was just about perfect -- sunny, mild days and cool nights. One of my favorite things about Jekyll is that dogs are allowed on the beach, a clear indication that this little island has its priorities in order. A vacation at Jekyll is quiet, simple, and laid back. No fast food restaurants, no neon signs, and just one tiny grocery store. I love Jekyll Island. I love the commitment to conservation, preservation, and restoration. I love the respect for history. I love the quirky bookstore with its many rooms and the big porch for lounging. I love sipping a great cup of coffee on the veranda at the Jekyll Island Club. I love Driftwood Beach and the marshland, the perfectly manicured grounds of the historic district, and the majestic live oaks draped in moss. I love this little island.

2 comments:

Rachel Nye said...

You know I love that coast! I live righ near the only dog beach in this area ( taking Kyla in an hour:)
Your pics are beautiful, and I am sure you are recharged and feeling great!

Pat said...

Thanks Rae! Always good to hear from you. We went to St Simons on Sunday for lunch and of course I thought of you and Eric and how much fun we all had at your wedding.