Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What's for Breakfast?

Blueberry Pancake made from Almond Meal


I received a request for some paleo breakfast ideas. Seems that I'm not the only one who grew tired of having eggs everyday. First, let me say that I don't follow a strict paleo diet. "Strict" and "diet" are two words that I hate. Put them together, and you'll find me rebelling in a big way. At this point in my life, I cannot, will not, go on another strict diet. So I just focus on keeping the carbs low by eliminating sugar and grains. I eat some dairy, and I do my best to choose high quality, minimally processed foods most of the time. With that caveat, here are some breakfast alternatives to eggs:

  1. Cottage cheese with a little fruit and sliced almonds. Try to buy organic cottage cheese and don't get fat free. Fat free dairy is much higher in carbohydrates.
  2. Protein shake (made from whey protein powder). I've tried the Whole Foods Whey Protein Powder (Vanilla), and find that it is pretty good. I add a 1/2 cup of frozen berries and a 1/4 cup of coconut milk for flavor. BUT I just tried the protein powder from Primal Nutrition (Mark's Daily Apple). I ordered the vanilla and the chocolate. Both are good with just water and ice. The carbs are a little higher, but certainly not too high, and it's so good that I don't feel the need to add fruit or other ingredients to make it tasty.
  3. Pancakes made from Almond Meal. There are lots of paleo pancake recipes out there that you can try. I reported a few weeks back on one that I tried. Click here for that post. That same recipe is what I used to make the blueberry pancake you see pictured above. I think this one from Mark's Daily Apple sounds good, but I have not tried it: Primal Coconut Pancakes.
  4. Applegate Farms Nitrate Free, Uncured Turkey Bacon (available at Publix and Whole Foods): I mention this product because it is good, and one slice has 6 grams of protein. I've made bacon, tomato, and avocado lettuce wraps for breakfast. I've also been known to grab a few slices with 1/2 an apple when I'm in a rush. I often go ahead and cook up the entire package so that I have it ready when I need it.
And don't forget that there are lots of ways to serve eggs. You can mix it up with different vegetables, spices, and a little cheese to keep it interesting. You don't have to eat them fried, scrambled, or boiled all the time. Don't forget omelets and frittatas. And the Primal Breakfast Muffins I made a few weeks ago were also good.

Those are a few suggestions from me. Maybe some of you reading this will comment with your own low-carb breakfast ideas.

3 comments:

Rachel Nye said...

Sounds like your diet isjust like mine Pat! How are the primal shakes, you know me and my shakes, they are perfect for snacks, breakfast, quick lunch....

hope your journey is going great! I really miss seeing and talking to you, you need to come visit FL when the weatherturns cold up there! you wuld love my Crossfit gym, we are incorporating a Kettlebell program too! talk to you soon! XOXOXO

Pat said...

Oh good, Rae. If my diet is just like yours, maybe I will turn out to be just like you....plus 20 years of course. ;-)

I like the Primal Shakes. Like I said, they contain some carbs, but it's minimal...just enough to give it some flavor so that I don't have to add my own carbs.

I should come for a visit this winter...I should just plan it. I would also love to see you. Congrats again on the new job. I'm so proud of you. They were smart to hire you.

Rachel Nye said...

Yes Pat! I would love to have you visit! My door is open, please come on down!