Friday, October 30, 2009

Lovely Nonetheless

"Straight ahead or to the left?"
Melvin listens intently for instructions during our hike at Vogel State Park on Thursday.


The leaves in north Georgia were awe inspiring on Thursday. I drove over to Blue Ridge to visit Mercier Orchards to purchase some fresh, locally grown apples. I bought three types: Mutzu, Pink Lady, and Cameo. Afterwards, I stopped briefly in downtown Blue Ridge for a latte at a quaint little cafe. There are lots of cute shops in Blue Ridge, and you could definitely make a day of it there. But I wasn't in a shopping mood. On the return, I took highway 129/19, a spectacular winding mountain drive that leads past Vogel State Park. I had planned to stop at Vogel to break up the trip and allow Melvin a little exercise. We did a short 1-mile loop around the lake, and just as we were completing the walk, I spotted a pileated woodpecker in a large conifer at the lake's edge. He was strikingly handsome and allowed me to admire him for quite some time before he retreated from view.

It was a lovely day. A little lonely, but lovely nonetheless.

The lake at Vogel State Park.

No comments: