Thursday, October 15, 2009

This One's A Keeper

Spiced Nut Clusters

I clipped this recipe from one of those little magazine-cookbooks that you find in the check-out lane at the grocery store. Recipes for Diabetics or something like that. I tore several pages from it and tossed them in my "Recipes to Try" folder. I was looking for a healthy treat to make tonight and remembered this recipe for Spiced Nut Clusters. I didn't have any cardamom, but otherwise followed the recipe to a T. These are good, easy, and they hold together well. I will make these again during the holidays. A little something to have with a cup of coffee or tea. And it won't spike your blood sugar. This one's a keeper.
Spiced Nut Clusters

1 large egg white
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together egg white and honey. Stir in walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and cranberries. Add spices. Toss to coat well. Drop by 1/8 cup measure onto baking sheet, forming small mounds.
Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until browned. Let stand on rack for 30 minutes or until completely cool.

Makes about 14-16 pieces.

3 comments:

Rachel Nye said...

yum! Can't wait to try these! Remind me of the "cookie" I just had with my coffee, they are made from a local company "Good Run", main ingredient nuts!

http://www.goodrun.us/brandb.html

Also love :http://samisbakery.com/
another of main faves is their low carb cinammon bread
I should send you a package, if you would like!

It may be something to consider in the Atl area, with all your baking and all, I don't think there is anything like these up there

Erica said...

These do look good! Definitely need something to go with my coffee. Wish I had one right now.

Pat said...

Rae and Erica, thanks for the comments!

Rae, thanks for the links and your kind words.

Erica, I'm not sure how it will compare to your beloved Cliff Bar. ;-)