Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Five Spice Beef and Broccoli


The other night I was craving something different from my usual standbys.  I wanted a satisfying dish, full of flavor.  I found this recipe for beef and broccoli in The Primal Blueprint CookbookI liked it but preferred it without the garnish of fresh herbs.  I bet it would also be good served over cauliflower rice instead of the bean sprouts.  I might try that next time.   If you are craving some Chinese flavors, maybe give this a try before calling Golden Buddha for a delivery.

Five Spice Beef and Broccoli Stir-fry
~ From The Primal Blueprint Cookbook

Ingredients:
1/2 lb flank steak
3 T wheat-free tamari
1 T sesame oil
1/4 tsp Chinese five spice powder
2 tsp grated ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets and steamed (crisp tender)
6 oz (a few big handfuls) mung bean sprouts
I prefer it without the following:
1/4 cup finely chopped mint
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

Servings: 2 - 4

Instructions:

Mix together a marinade of tamari, oil, five spice powder, ginger and garlic. Slice the meat into thin strips. Marinate at least 15 minutes or up to several hours if you have time. Heat a saute pan or wok. Add meat and marinade to the pan and saute 3 - 5 minutes, stirring a few times so the meat cooks evenly. Add the steamed broccoli and saute a few more minutes. Add bean sprouts and remove from heat. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.  I found the strong flavors of cilantro and mint did not compliment the other flavors.  I liked it best when I had it the second time without the garnish of fresh herbs.

No comments: