Sunday, January 30, 2011

Totally Paleo and Totally Satisfying


Pot Roast, Cauliflower Mash, and Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts

For dinner on Friday, I made a delicious meal of pot roast, cauliflower mash, and brussel sprouts.  Totally paleo and totally satisfying. This may be the best meal I've made since going paleo.  And so simple.  The roast went in the crock pot Friday morning. I just plopped the roast in the pot, added an inch or so of water, salt, pepper, 3 garlic cloves, an onion coarsely chopped, and a couple of carrots.  The garlic, onion, and carrot were for flavoring the broth; I tossed these out when the roast was ready.  If you want to do a pot roast along with root vegetables, you certainly can; but you would want to add the vegetables mid-way through the cooking process so they don't get too mushy.  I just wanted a nicely flavored beef broth that I could serve Melvin.  Besides, my day was too busy to stop mid-way and add the vegetables. 

To complete the meal that evening, I made the cauliflower mash and roasted brussel sprouts.  The cauliflower mash is really simple.  Just steam the cauliflower to crisp-tender, and then combine it in a food processor with butter, a splash or two of half and half, salt and pepper.  Make it the same way you would mashed potatoes.  You can omit the half and half and just use butter, salt and pepper.  Process until it's the consistency you want.  Add more salt and pepper as needed for your taste.   I tried making cauliflower mash before I had a food processor.  It was just okay.  The food processor makes all the difference.

I tossed the brussel sprouts in a little bacon fat, seasoned with salt and pepper, and then roasted in a 425 degree oven for maybe 20 minutes until brown and tender.  

No comments: