Thursday, January 20, 2011

Muffins!

Carrot Banana Muffins Right out of the Oven

I can't remember when I've had a muffin! Until tonight, that is. I don't plan to make a habit of these, but if I'm going to live a paleo/primal lifestyle, then it's important to have recipes for healthy, wholesome treats.  I tried one right out of the oven while it was still hot enough to melt butter. I found it to be quite tasty with a pleasing texture. For me these will be a very occasional treat. For people who don't have weight to lose or blood sugar issues, they could be enjoyed more often. I'm thinking of Erica who is always looking for something to go with her coffee. She could make a batch on Sunday and share them with Will throughout the week.

Recipe From Elana's Pantry: (with minor tweaks by me)

Carrot Banana Muffins
2 cups blanched almond flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup dates, pitted
3 ripe bananas
3 eggs
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
1 ½ cups shredded carrots (don't buy pre-shredded carrots; they are too dry)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
  1. In a small bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
  2. Chop the walnuts and set aside.
  3. Shred/chop the carrots in the food processor using the shredder blade. Remove carrots and set aside.   Rinse and dry food processor bowl for next step.
  4. In the food processor, combine dates, bananas, eggs, vinegar, and oil.
  5. Transfer wet mixture to a large bowl.
  6. Blend dry mixture into wet until thoroughly combined.
  7. Fold in carrots and walnuts.
  8. Spoon mixture into a greased muffin pan. I use coconut oil. Grease it well as these tend to want to stick. You could try paper liners; I have not used them with this recipe.
  9. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes for medium muffins. Bake 30 minutes for mini-loaf pan. Mini-muffins are done in 15-20 minutes. 
Makes 14-16 medium muffins or about 36 miniature muffins. Or 12 medium muffins and 1 mini-loaf pan.

These deserve a pretty plate, and so do you.

No comments: