Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Before it Fades Away

" Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower."
-Albert Camus



I gathered this collection of leaves on my walk yesterday afternoon. The leaves were so colorful, and I thought they would make a beautiful arrangement. We gather flowers for bouquets, why not leaves?


As I was sitting at my desk, trying to work, this view from my office kept calling me to go for a walk. It seemed the leaves on these trees had peaked overnight. And just as quickly they will pass. These glorious fall days are fleeting, and we need to enjoy them while we can. So I gave in and went for a walk. Melvin was thrilled.


The maples around the neighborhood are on fire with autumn's glory. The oakleaf hydrangea in my yard has great big leaves, bigger than my hand, and brilliant red. The crape myrtles are covered in beautiful orange leaves, and the Virginia Creeper is starting to turn. The solomon's seal in the backyard is fading away for winter, but in its twilight it has turned a beautiful yellow. I don't think I ever noticed the beauty of passing solomon's seal before today. I think the fading solomon's seal may be a metaphor for life--it gets richer and brighter as we grow older, but we have to be willing to take notice.


My heart sang at the sight of this ginko tree downtown. Its leaves are a perfectly ripe yellow and still clinging to the tree. It is a beautiful site if you can catch it before the leaves fall. But even as they begin to fall it will be eye-popping with the bright yellow leaves on the green lawn. Breath-taking. Notice it if you can. It is located just down from the intersection of Clairemont and Ponce, near the Holiday Inn. And don't just drive by and glance at it. Leave the car at home or park it. Take a stroll by this ginko tree. Stop and admire it. Soak up its beauty before it fades away.

8 comments:

Rachel Nye said...

As a Florida girl who experienced her first true fall only a couple years ago, I truly appreciate the fall and it all its beauty it brings. I love the colors my eyes capture throughout these days and I am in such awe of all my surroundings!

Pat said...

Hope everyone is having a great day. I'm missing all my fellow blogsters. =o)

Gnomes, hope you are feeling better today.

The Orkins said...

Thanks Pat. I am feeling a little better. I am on antibiotics now (broke down and went to the doctor). I havea n ear infection and a sinus infection. No fun! I am feeling better though and am trying to make it to the gym tonight. I have not been in a full week! I think getting back into my routine will have me feeling better in no time!

Sheryl McCalla said...

Sorry to be an absentee blogger. I am sooo sleepy right now; yesterday's early morning of voter protection and late night of election results. I'm fighting to stay awake at my desk. If lunch doesn't help (HA!) I'll probably give in and go home for a nap.

Byron said...

I love the pictures of the beautiful Fall colors. Living in Savannah, Autumn colors are rare. I did notice one stunning tree at the Park this morning driving into the office. I do miss the wonderful color!

Autumn, I think, is my favorite season. The air is cool and crisp, the fires are burning in the outdoor pits, and football is on the TV!

I hope everyone is having a terrific day and only good things are coming your way. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay Wonderful feeling, feeling this way!

MelissaR said...

Just wanted to say hello. Pat, you're pictures are so beautiful. California is not very seasonal when is comes to the falls leaves or spring flowers. It is one of the things I love about Georgia. One of my favorite things in the fall is to come down Clairemont, just past the Greek pizza place. As you come down the hill with the Veterans Hospital on the right, the American Flag is usually waving, the sun is starting to set and the beautiful Fall colored trees are lit up in the background. It is beautiful and I savor it everyday.

Sorry I haven't been on the blog too much lately. I have been in a bit of a funk since last Thursday really. Without going into too much detail, I have been having some major stomach issues since Saturday evening. I feel okay in the morning and then after lunch seems to be a different story. Today is not so bad, so I am signed up for 5:30p session. I told Shana I would go Monday and Tuesday, but then the stomach issues in the afternoon.

Anyhoo, if you're at the gym, i'll see you then.

Pat said...

Glad to have you back on the blog, Melissa. Hopefully I will see you tonight.

And you too, Sheryl. I missed you the last couple of days.

Shana A. said...

Been a busy couple of days for me ... sorry for not piping up much...

Bad headache. Talk more tomorrow.

=o)