Friday, November 7, 2008

Jump for Joy!

“It's possible to forget how alive we really are. We can become dry and tired, just existing, instead of really living. We need to remind ourselves of the juice of life, and make that a habit. Find those places inside that jump for joy, and do things”
-Unknown-


I jumped on the 24-inch box last night. 55 times! The last time we did box jumps, Shana made a passing comment to me that it was about time for me to move up to the 24-inch box from the 20-inch box. My first thought was, "I can't jump on a 24-inch box. I can barely make it atop the 20-inch box. I can't move up to the 24-inch box until I drop more weight." Of course I didn't say this out loud for fear that Shana would make me do burpees as punishment for my negative, self-defeated thinking. So I kept my thoughts to myself--even though these were not totally unreasonable thoughts. After all, there are all kinds of legitimate reasons why I should not be able to jump from a dead standing position to the top of a 24-inch box--not the least of which is the fact that I have had my feet planted firmly on the ground my entire life! And now I am 47 years old, too late in life to be jumping, for goodness sake. People my age don't jump. I mean really--I could take a tumble and hurt myself. It's scary and dangerous. All kinds of good reasons not to try the 24-inch box.

But then I remembered back to last November when I first started working out with Shana. I was jumping on a 12-inch box at the time, and I was proud of it. One of the first things Shana said to me was, "PAT, you've got to move up to a bigger box!" Those of you who know Shana know the tone in her voice and the look she gave me. So in December of last year, she had me attempt an 18" box. I remember standing in front of that 18" box, frozen in fear. Finally, with lots of encouragement and Shana standing right beside me, I managed to just do it. There was a big celebration in the gym; Chuck came running out of the office to witness the next one. It was a great feeling!

Later I moved up to a 20-inch box, and that's where I have stayed until now. In my mind, 20-inches is plenty high. I get a great workout ripping out box jumps on the 20-inch box. Why rock the boat?

But that's what coaches are for--to rock our boats and keep us from becoming satisfied with "pretty good". So when I saw box jumps were in the workout, I decided that I would attempt the 24-inch jumps. With Shana on one side of the box and Marshall on the other, without thinking about it too much, I hauled off and jumped up onto that 24-inch box. And what do you know? I can jump on a 24-inch box.

15 comments:

Rachel Nye said...

Pat I am so proud of you!!!! I know that look Shana gives, I was chicken last night during the WOD and used the 20 for the first half, it was amazing how guilty I felt doing so! You, Shana, Melissa, and Marshall inspired me to move up, thank you so much!!!! That's life though its about our next big "leap" we have to have faith and confidence in our selves to make it (and the support of friends helps a lot too!)!

Sheryl McCalla said...

Great post today Pat. What a wonderful accomplishment. Rae, congrats to you for moving up too. You both are inspiring.

Pat said...

Excuse the shameless tooting today, but I thought it made a good story for all of us. Now everyone else should feel free to toot your horn!

Rachel, I'm sorry for yelling out at you (during the wod) to "get on the 24" box!" I get mean when I'm working out.

Pat said...

Happy Birthday, Sheryl!!!

Pat said...

Meeks, thanks for your post from yesterday. You've been on a roll lately, making lots of progress so maybe you should list them here today. For the life of me, I can't imagine why you would feel like you are on a plateau!

I can't remember when you return home...miss you and hope to see you soon.

Rachel Nye said...

Pat yell all you want I love it!!! Sometimes we just need that extra push!

myesha said...

Way to go Pat! You did it! (and 55 times is no joke!) I love this post. As usual, you have left me with a smile. Congrats on your accomplishment. =)

Happy Birthday Sheryl, and way to go Rae!

MelissaR said...

Yay PatC!!! That box IS a bit scary. I made Chuck hold my hand the first time I did it. It is still a bit daunting.

My toot your horn moment is for the Ring Pushups from last night. That was the first time I have ever done them. Even though they took forever to do, I was still proud that I was able to do them.

So, yay!

Pat said...

And you did them all in plank, Melissa. I think you were the only one in our group, besides Spencer to do them all in plank!

Shana A. said...

Pat ... you never EVER should "excuse" yourself for tooting (unless it's the kind that comes out your butt!)

You should TOOT with ABANDON!! And anyone who "minds" should be boldly told to F&*K OFF!!

We're ridiculously proud of you, and Rachel and Melissa. Your success is ours, too!

You continue to inspire everyone who knows you!

FYI - only 3 women (I'm including myself) yesterday did that workout with full plank ring pushups.

MelissaR said...

Shana, I did notice that. I may have to put those in my warm up because you guys whooped me time-wise. If I add them to my warm up then I'll be faster next time. I think it was still good for the first time doing them though.

And Rae...You HAD that box EASY!! No problem!

Pat said...

Melissa, I think those ring pushups will help me too with my regular plank pushups. I think I will try to do a few in the warmup too.

MelissaR said...

Yep. I think the decline push-ups I have been doing are helping the regular plank push-ups. It ALL HAS to help.

Rachel Nye said...

Thanks Melissa nice Rx last night! I definitely need some practice on those ring push ups they stumped me!

Shana attempted to go to Globogym this AM you have cured me! I could not handle it there! I was so bored after a short amount of time, I felt like I was going to go crazy, did get some nice push ups in though that I noticed the trainers watching me do, yes chest to floor buddies!

Meeks said...

Great Post Pat C! Congrats on the 24 inch box. That's impressive.
Myesha and I were talking this AM and agreed that the only way we keep pushing thru this is all of the awesome support around us. Imagine doing this without others with the same goals. Keep it up. Keep pushing yourself and keep pushing/supporting the rest of us.

Slightly jet-lagged but back in the country. It was nice to return to Crossfit this AM after 6 days of no exercise except walking.