Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Week

Persimmons
photograph by Jack Culpepper


Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation
(from the collection of Lincoln's papers in the Library of America series, Vol II, pp. 520-521)


The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle, or the ship; the axe had enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union. It is the duty of nations as well as of men to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God; to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations are blessed whose God is the Lord.
- Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation October 3, 1863

9 comments:

Pat said...

I'm excited about this week...about seeing my family on Thursday. I love Thanksgiving.

The Orkins said...

Yippee! Thanksgiving! I winder how many calories I will burn polishing my mother in laws silver on Wednesday afternoon and setting the table...

I am thankful for getting my eating on track - eating balanced meals and more realistic portion sizes. They did a segment on the Thanksgiving meal on the Today Show this morning....The average person consumes about 4000 calories on Thanksgiving day! Ick! While I won't be able to make it to CFED on Thursday morning, I can at least get up and get moving - walking or jogging around the neighborhood. I challenge all of us to get up and get moving on Thursday morning.

Meeks - you heading to Jackson?

Be safe in your travels!

MelissaR said...

I too love Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday.
Gnomes~ I can't imagine eating that many calories. My plate usually looks like any other day, just different options. I LOVE turkey.
Anyhoo, I will be flying to CA of Thanksgiving morning, so I won't make it to the gym unless you have a really early session, which I don't think you do. I am taking my jump rope with me so I can practice my double-unders. I also have that huge list of Travel WODs, so I'm sure I can keep myself busy over the weekend. Not sure about Thanksgiving Day specifically though. We'll see.

Anyhoo, I felt like I was breathing better earlier, but now...not so much. )o: I think I might need to get a steroid of some sort to help open my lungs.
)o: Not good. Wah!

The Orkins said...

Feel better Melissa. Hopefully you will be breathing and feeling 100% before getting on the plane. Steroids are icky, but if they do the trick...

And don't worry, I don't think I eat 4000 calories on Thanksgiving. Sure, I have a little of everything (and mother in law uses lots of cream and butter), but I just have little portions.

Is it obvious that I don't have very much going on at work today? I have a feeling I will be a serial blogger for the day...

MelissaR said...

Yeah, I prefer not to take anything if I don't have to, but my lungs have not been completely opened for over a week now and my back and upper body is killing me because of the lungs and coughing. I am having to use a Rescue Inhaler more often than I should and it just isn't working well enough to help be breathe better. I'm exhausted from trying to breathe. I think i just need new lungs. Yeah, that would work.

Leela said...

The Thanksgiving holiday it is a great chance for each of us to remember all the gifts that life blessed us with: starting with the fact that we are alive and healthy, that we live in a free country, with peace and family and wonderful friends...

All these things are not for granted ... these are all wonderful blessing that deserve, at least once in a while, to be acknowledged with heart full of gratitude and love.

Pat, one day you were mentioning in the blog that a life of quality means not only to take care of this physical body, but also to honor the being we are, our soul ... and one of the best ways to do it is by expressing our gratitude ...

These days I was visiting two of my wonderful girfriends and my heart if so full of gratitude for meeting them and being in their presence.

If I was always aware of the gifts God prepared for me, I was grateful especially for the wonderful friends I have met along my life, my three boys included ... for my health (physical, emotional, mental and spiritual) and for me being coachable, open to learn, open to transform, so that I would be able to fully enjoy the gift of life itself.

I am wishing you all to experience the most wonderful Thanksgiving time and to feel your hearts gratfull all the time!

Rachel Nye said...

Awww... thankfulness, I am so thankful for a break away from everything! My nana's house is down a long winding road that finally brings you to her house on the water and my dad and uncle both own island homes that you can see from her house! I am so thankful for that, to be able to fill my eyes with all that beauty and to be near my family who I miss dearly! My sister is 5 months pregnant and I can not wait to see her, I was with her almost everyday during her last pregnancy and this time I really feel like I am missing out.
I plan on taking a break from working out, my body is telling me I need it, Kyla has plenty of dogs to play with so no long runs, of course we always play football and that is good and I am bringing my kettlebell just in case, I get the urge! Hope everyone gets to savor some yummy food!

Rachel Nye said...

Ps Pat I loved to read about the history of Thanksgiving, that was wonderful :)

MelissaR said...

Hello everyone. Hope you are all having a great day!! :o)