Wednesday, November 19, 2008

You are Beautiful


"You are Beautiful"
by Jon Gilson
courtesy of Again Faster


If I were feeling a little more lawless, I’d gather all the copies of Cosmo and Seventeen, douse them in kerosene, and strike a match. I’d throw in reams of print ads from Calvin Klein and watch with delight as Kate Moss’ stick-thin image was reduced to carbon. I’d add copies of Shape and Runner’s World until the flames reached toward the heavens, and then I’d crank call the editorial desk at Muscle and Fitness until they stopped publishing pictures of women on steroids.

I’d get the master tapes of America’s Next Top Model and dub over them with “Nasty Girls”, broadcasting the results on every television station in America. I’d sky writeCrossFit.com” across the Boston skyline, and gently admonish the hoards of long distance runners trotting along the Charles River—with a bullhorn. I’d take every woman with mass media-induced ideals of beauty, and I’d show them what it really means to be beautiful.

Beautiful women are strong and powerful. They are athletes, capable of every feat under the sun. They have muscles, borne of hard work and sweat. They gauge their self-worth through accomplishments, not by the numbers on the bathroom scale. They understand that muscle weighs more than fat, and they love the fact that designer jeans don’t fit over their well-developed quads.

They know that high repetitions using light weights is a path to mediocrity, and “toning” is a complete and utter myth. They refuse to succumb to the marketers that prey on insecurity, leaving the pre-packaged diet dinners and fat-burning pills on the shelf to pass their expiration date.

Beautiful women train with intensity. They derive self-image from the quality of their work and their ability to excel. They don’t wear makeup to the gym, and they would not be caught dead with a vinyl pink dumbbell. They move iron, they do pull-ups, they jump, sprint, punch, and kick, and they use the elliptical machine—as a place to hang their jump rope.

They spend their weekends in sport, climbing walls, winning races, and running rivers. They laugh as they sprint circles around the unschooled, turning the image-obsessed into bench warmers.

Beautiful women don’t care if they’re soaked in sweat and covered in dirt, if their nails are chipped or their hair out of place. They care only about quality of life. Beautiful women are happy, healthy, and strong, and they’re right there beside me, tossing conventional beauty on the ever-growing flames of what used to be.

Be beautiful.

10 comments:

Rachel Nye said...

Awwww, thanks for using my pic Pat, gosh my wrists look painful :)
I admit there are many days when beauty is far from how I feel. But soon as I hit the gym floor that is not even in my thought process, I am there to sweat and get those endorphins cranking! The fact that any one thinks I have any beauty
(maybe just some booty, hehe) is amazing to me. But I definitely see a bunch of gorgeous, strong, determined woman working out around me, what a beautiful sight, it doesn't get much better than that, oh yeah we do have some pretty handsome fellas too! It must be all that CFED Koolaid!

MelissaR said...

Yay!! I have this on my MySpace too!! I love it!!!
Rae, you have more than BOOTY BEAUTY!!! You are an absolutely beautiful, strong, and fast woman!! :o) You have purty eyes too!
Just sayin... ;o)

I can definately relate with the, "drenched in sweat, and covered with dirt...hair out of place...". It used to drive me nuts to see women at "Globo-Gym" with their hair all perfect, make-up done, and reading a flippin magazine on the treadmill or elliptical. Seriously, if it is that easy to read while exercising, why bother?
Anyhoo, I need to go get food. I'll be back!!

The Orkins said...

Thanks Pat. I needed that today!

Pat said...

glad to be of service, Gnomes.

Byron said...

Does this mean I should not be disappointed that I lost to Hugh Jackman in People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive contest? :-)

Seriously, this post is terrific! Although I have not met all of you personally, I see a number of beautiful people! You all show strength and courage that goes beyond the outward beauty! AND, I see lots of outward beauty, too! Thanks for letting me be a part of it! You are truly beautiful!

Sheryl McCalla said...

Melissa, you'll get a kick out of this. Kath has a membership to a Globo-Gym and when we asked why she said she goes there to read. :)

MelissaR said...

Hah! I think I remember hearing that. That is really the last thing I think about when I am working out, a book.
I am usually thinking, "When is it going to be over? I can't breathe!!, or...what I am going to eat tonight for dinner?" But a book? A magazine? Not for me.

Sheryl, you coming tonight? How are you feeling?

Pat said...

Byron, good to see you back on the blog. Sorry you lost out to Hugh. I really cannot understand it.

Sheryl McCalla said...

Melissa, I feel much better. Trying to convince myself to get there for 5:30.

The Orkins said...

Byron - they clearly did not ask us to vote for best looking man...besides, do you really want all that press right now? So stressful...please come visit during the holiday season! We would love to all meet you and have you work out with us!