Monday, December 8, 2008

Decking the Halls

This past weekend was prime time for decking the halls. Many of my neighbors have lights twinkling in the window, outlining the house, and draped over shrubbery. It's pretty. And the cold weather makes it even more beautiful.

As for me, I managed to break out my favorite Christmas candle, "Aunt Sadie's Tree in a Can." It smells just like the real thing. I wasn't feeling well on Saturday so I lit this candle, crawled under the covers and stayed there all afternoon. It was wonderful. I bought several of these candles this past week at Heliotrope in Decatur. Sunday afternoon I drove over to visit my mom and sister, and I gave each of them a "tree in a can." It's become a tradition--I give this candle every year as an early Christmas gift for each to enjoy throughout the season.

After a short visit with my mom over coffee, I went over to my cabin to string the Christmas lights around the perimeter of the porch. I use the old fashioned ones--like Snoopy has in the picture above. The lights are on a timer so they come on every night at dusk and stay on for several hours. With the trees now mostly naked, you can see the lights in the distance, through the woods from my parents house. The lights are my Christmas card to my mom and step dad--wishing them a Merry Christmas every night of the season.

13 comments:

Sheryl McCalla said...

I love Snoopy. And I love those old lights. Do they still sell them somewhere or have you had them forever?

Pat said...

They still have them. I bought a couple of extra strands at Target this year, but I've also seen them at Ace Hardware.

Rachel Nye said...

Heart warming story, Pat! I have to get one of those candles, where is the store at? I hope you are feeling better, I know you have been taking on a lot( thanks for all you do at CFED!), make sure to take care of yourself too, its sounds like you got to do that Saturday!

Rachel Nye said...

morning pat, blogging together this AM :)

Pat said...

Heliotrope is downtown on the same block as CVS, across the street...right next to Taco Mac. It's a fun little store.

Pat said...

Oh, and I have got to say that the best Christmas decorations I saw this weekend were in your neighborhood, Rachel. As I drove back into town last night, I took Clairemont home...drove right by your house. It's like a winter wonderland over there!

Byron said...

Pat, I love the story in Today's post! The old-fashioned lights are still my favorite. I noted lots of the old homes in Savannah still use them to light their trees. They bring back lots of great memories!

Because we will be on a cruise the week of Christmas, I debated whether we would put up a tree this year. We finally decided on a small tree and broke out some of our favorite ornaments to decorate it! Last night, we sipped hot cider while adoring our little "Charlie Brown" tree and sang carols with the dogs! As you know, the Daschund, Lucy, loves to sing! I am sure the neighbors thought we were dipping into the "Iced Tea" again! :-)

Sheryl McCalla said...

This might be a silly question, but why on earth do we use anything but the "old-style" lights? Are the new ones safer? More environmentally friendly? Cheaper? The old ones are so much nicer. Or could it be that my judgment is clouded and the beauty of the old ones is just in the memories they evoke for some of us and the new ones actually are nicer? Seriously, what's the deal?

MelissaR said...

Dang it, I just left a long post and it didn't post. hmmph!

My step-dad uses those old lights too. They even have a huge snoopy that lights up to go along with the lights in the front yard.
I haven't put up my Charlie Brown tree yet, but I think I might do that this afternoon since I am at home today. Have a great day everyone.

Shana A. said...

I think a Christmas tree would end up as sawdust after Whoa and Foo got ahold of it. I asked Jonathan if we could decorate the ficus tree. He laughed at me.

Sheryl McCalla said...

Sounds like tree in a can is in order for you Shana :)

Rachel Nye said...

The lights and no offense anyone is my Gaylords( they know we call them this and think its hilarious), they are my wonderful landlords that are full of cheer, but I was just telling Eric they make us look like the Scrooges, we need to get some stuff outside, inside is done though!

Rachel Nye said...

all the lights on Clairmont, Pat, to clarify!