Friday, July 17, 2009

Sometimes He Makes Us Swim

Hilda goes for a swim.
by Duane Bryers


Well I did it. I have been threatening to do it for more than a week now, but tonight I did it. I went for a swim. I donned my swim suit and dove right in. And lived to blog about it. I have (had) this silly notion that I'm not fit enough to go swimming -- well, it's not really the swimming part that concerned me, it's the swimsuit part. Hey, I never said I wasn't crazy. The whole point of this blog is to work out my wackiness. I know it doesn't make sense, but our fears and inhibitions don't always make sense. Actually, they probably rarely make sense. And when the guy in lane one exited the pool in a skin that fit him like . . . well, a skin, I was reminded that this insanity is uniquely feminine. Let's just say that despite his less than perfect physique, he was quite comfortable in his skin. Good for him!

I swam laps for 15 minutes and treaded water for 5 minutes. Good enough for a first outing I think. I felt some pain in my injured knee while I was treading water, but nothing too serious, and this just confirmed for me that I do need alternative exercise right now. All in all, a decent workout. But the real accomplishment today had nothing to do with exercise and everything to do with overcoming fears and ignoring old scripts.


Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.
~ Author Unknown ~

2 comments:

LoveKatt said...

Yay! congrats for biting the bullet on this! Swimming is fun exercise...you can't even tell you are sweating! Great stretches in the pool, too.

Pat said...

Thanks, Katt!