Monday, October 6, 2008

Think About What You Think About


Whatever you do, don’t think about pink elephants.

Now, what are you thinking about? Pink elephants?! Okay, stop it! Don’t think about pink elephants! I mean it; stop thinking about pink elephants! You just need to try a little harder. If you really wanted to stop thinking about pink elephants, you could. You must not want it bad enough. Try harder to stop thinking about pink elephants, and you will be able to stop thinking about pink elephants.

I use this silly example to make a point. If we are constantly focused on the thing that we are trying to avoid or the habit we are trying to break, it’s impossible to be successful. Success in anything starts with our thoughts. Our thoughts determine our attitude, mood, emotions, behaviors, the goals we set for ourselves, our performance against those goals—everything starts with our thoughts.

The other night I wanted something sweet after dinner. I entertained the thought; I rolled it around in my head and considered my options. I looked in the pantry for something sweet. Nothing sweet there. I looked in the fridge for something sweet. Nothing sweet there either. “I could go out for dessert”, I thought. “No, I shouldn’t go out for dessert; I should resist this sweet craving.” “Some ice cream sure would be good,” I thought. “No, I can’t. I should just try harder to resist this craving.” I continued watching TV, distracted only by thoughts of my craving for ice cream and how I should not have ice cream. “I don’t need ice cream, but I sure do want ice cream”. As I continued to mull it over, the craving grew stronger and more intense. You see where this is headed, right? I ended up in Publix buying a pint of ice cream, and I came home and ate it. In the end I did the exact thing that I did not want to do. And in hindsight, it’s easy to see why. It all started with my thoughts, and my actions followed.

The point is not that we are powerless; the point is that our thoughts are very powerful, and we can choose our thoughts. I could have changed my thoughts by getting out of the house, going for a walk or bike ride, calling a friend, knitting, working in the yard—any number of activities would have gotten my mind onto something else. The choice was mine, and I chose to continue in the same thought pattern, and before long, my actions followed.

Just because a thought pops in your head doesn’t mean you have to let it take up residence. You can choose to replace it with a new thought, and in so doing, you can choose a new action.

19 comments:

Sheryl McCalla said...

HGB - Shana and Christian inspired a wonderful mother son evening. Khalid and I watched Born Free last night.

Pat said...

I love that movie!

MelissaR said...

Good morning. Love the topic today.
WE just need to tell those thoughts to "SHUT UP!". MUCH easier said than done, I know.
It's going to take a LOT of work for me to get rid of the bad thoughts.
I surely won't be thinking about Pink Elephants for the rest of the day!! ;O)

Sheryl~Glad you had a nice evening with your son. I haven't seen that movie. Might have to check it out.

Shana A. said...

HGBs for me:
1. a day OFF!
2. freshly stocked fridge of healthy groceries.
3. 8-minute PR on a really tough wod!
4. feeling like I earned my rest day with 5 hard wod days in a row
5. full tank of cheap gas in my car...
6. pin-up hairstyles & makeup
7. shopping for CFED sweatshirts
8. a lush-leaved, healthy, deep-green ficus tree that's grown as tall as me this summer and getting to bring it indoors
9. knowing I helped inspire someone else's HGB! (makes me want to rent Born Free - I love that movie, too!)
10. discovering that Robb Wolf believes coffee to be acceptable Paleo fare...

Pat said...

Shana and I thought it would be fun to get together for a meal at Ted's Montanna Grill. What about this Sunday, October 12? We could do lunch after the WOD or we could meet for an early dinner. Please respond so that I can get an idea of who is interested and if you prefer lunch after the WOD or dinner.


I'm enjoying reading everyones' HGB's!

MelissaR said...

I am interested in the Ted's Montana Grill thingie. I've never been there before. I prefer lunch after the WOD, but will do an earlier dinner as well. Whatever works.

Pat said...

Miki, sorry you can't make it this Sunday, but frankly the trip to London sounds lots more exciting! We'll do something again, and I'll make sure to choose something that is vegetarian friendly.

Pat said...

Good news. I shaved 12 seconds off my time on the 1.1 mile loop around my house. I ran the 1.1 miles in 10:58. Last Wednesday I ran it in 11:10. And today my legs felt like tree stumps from the 250 squats I did yesterday, but I was still able to improve my time. I'm encouraged. My goal for the challenge is to be able to run a mile in under 9 minutes. I'm currently on a 10 minute pace...long way to go, but I'm moving in the right direction.

MelissaR said...

Yay PAT! That's awesome!!

MelissaR said...

OKay...so I went to bed at like 9:30p last night and I am soooo tired today. WTH?? Could it be the soreness? Could it be that I waited too long to drink coffee in the morning? I need a big ole' NAP!

MelissaR said...

Is there a website or something that I could use to map a 5k from my house? I thought maybe Gnomes mentioned something like that, but I'm not sure.

Shana A. said...

mapmyrun.com

MelissaR said...

Thanks Shana. I can't get it to work here. I'll have to try it from home.

Meeks said...

Good first week on the challenge. Only 1 meal off the Zone and 6 of 7 days on mark with the Diet Cokes. After 8 pre-challenge weeks it is almost coming second nature to me. The "hard" moments are fewer and farther between. For those of you not following the 80% rule I HIGHLY recommend it. It really takes all the pressure off. on the subject Pat and the ice cream I went out to dinner at a BBQ place with friends on Saturday- I had a pulled pork sandwich with only 1/2 the bun which was probably somewhere near balanced. I then decided to have some ice cream since it was a warm pretty afternoon and it sounded good. I had a cone- counted the meal as one of my 20% outside the zone and moved on- no stress, no fuss. I didn't have the brownie offered after lunch yesterday b/c I didn't want to use a "free" meal. Just a thought.

I could be up for lunch on the 12th as long as it is after noon. I finish at church around 11:15 and can be back in Decatur around 11:30.

Pat said...

I just used my ice cream story as an example of how your thoughts can lead you in a direction you don't want to go. You can apply this to anything that you fixate on that isn't productive...worrying about things, beating yourself up over anything, repeating the same negative script over and over in your head ("I'll never do..."), whatever it is. Whatever you focus on is what you are drawing into your life.

Pat said...

Oh, Meeks, I meant to congratulate you on your successful first week of the challenge. I love the way you are approaching it.

Kath said...

okay well crap I posted a whole long thing, hit publish then went to lunch. I guess I didn't do it right lol. (guess what I said wasn't supposed to take HAHA)

smooches anyways!

Pat said...

Today's HGB's:
1. Sweet email from my brother.
2. Mocking bird in the birdbath.
4. Shaved 12 seconds off my 1.1 mile run.
5. Big improvement on my clean tonight.
6. McCalla coaching and pushing me tonight during my WOD.
7. After dinner walk with Melvin. It's a beautiful fall night.
8. Rain in the forecast for Wednesday.

Byron said...

When I was a tiny tot, we used to make popcorn treats that were made using a small amount of butter, marshmellows, and strawberry gelatin. We would shape the popcorn balls to look like elephants, and of course, they were pink! Remembering creating those pink elephants with my grandmother is one of my HGBs for today even though they are not Zone friendly! Other HGBs from today:

1. Fresh apples
2. Watching Lucy (my Daschund)playing with my kitten (Sir Winston)while Pickles (the Boston Terrier) looks on
3. Being able to do the workout tonight and still walk out of the gym with a smile!