Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Look Inside and Listen

"Freedom"
by Duy Huynh



I had a bit of a light bulb moment after having my oatmeal this morning. Oatmeal is a grain, and so I was sort of thinking maybe I should not have eaten it. Same thing with the two slices of bread yesterday. After eating the oatmeal and enjoying it, it occurred to me that eating oatmeal or not eating oatmeal is my decision. I can listen to my body and decide if I want to have oatmeal and then depending on how I feel afterwards, I can continue to have it or not. It's my choice. The answer about whether to eat grains, dairy, or any other food is inside me. It's not in some diet book somewhere.

I think reading about nutrition and hearing what works for other people is great. But in the end, the answer for each of us is inside us. My body, my spirit knows what is best for me in everything. If I will look inside and listen and allow my spirit to direct my life, I will know what I should eat. During my binges on sweets, my body and soul always tell me what I'm doing is wrong. But I don't look inside, and I sure don't listen. I ignore my body and spirit and continue to stuff myself with unhealthy food. And then I go to the other extreme, eating only what is on the approved list, again looking everywhere except inside myself for the answer.

Look inside. And listen.

___________________________________________________________________________________

My food diary from yesterday can be found under the previous post.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Gnomes, you asked for the recipe for the Turkey-Vegetable soup. Here's a link to some Zone soup recipes. I made the Taco Soup with ground turkey breast.

http://www.the-zone-diet-recipes.com/recipes_index/zone_soups.htm

The Orkins said...

Excellent - thanks Pat!

Pat said...

don't know if anyone is reading this or cares, but I just ate the most wonderful big salad for lunch. Mixed greens, left-over roasted asparagus, tomatoes, left-over steamed carrots, couple of ounces of pork tenderloin, sliced orange with balsamic vinegerette. Fantastic. I like using left-over, cold veggies (steamed or roasted). I like some raw veggies (tomatoes and greens) in my salad, but others not so much. This was just great.

Byron said...

Salad sounds terrific! I had a great salad for lunch yesterday in Augusta, too. I really should eat more salads, but getting protein is my challenge. So many restaurants do not offer a veggie protein option. I guess they assume everyone wants meat. Am I going to have to add meat to my diet to get into the shape I want?

Hope your Wednesday goes well. It sounds like things are going the right way for you, and I am so happy for you!