Thursday, April 30, 2009

Oh My Yumminess

Dinner Tonight
Steak (4 oz)
Tomatoes on Mixed Greens
Apple, Broccoli, and Turkey Bacon Salad


Dinner was really good tonight. I grilled steak; that's something I never do, but it turned out great. To go with it, I had some sliced grape tomatoes with a little salt and pepper. I also made a salad of chopped apple, steamed broccoli, and a little turkey bacon. The saltiness of the bacon with the apple was so tasty. And the red apple with the green broccoli was very appealing.

I'm trying to eat more vegetables and salads, but I'm not fond of a lot of vegetables eaten in the raw. Here's a trick that is helping me: I steam the vegetables just until crisp-tender. I immediately rinse them in cold water to stop them from cooking further. Then I store them in containers in the fridge, and I am ready for a salad or an omelet at a moment's notice. I used to steam just enough veggies for the meal at hand, but now I go ahead and steam the entire batch. Cooking ahead is key. Right now, I have broccoli, asparagus, and sugar snap peas pre-steamed and stored in the refrigerator. I have salad greens ready, and I cooked extra steak tonight so I'll have a terrific salad tomorrow. I also went ahead and cooked the entire package of turkey bacon so that's ready to go too. By the way, the turkey bacon is uncured, nitrate free.

Tonight after work, I went to the Dekalb Farmers Market to buy a few things. The prices are so much better there; organic produce is actually reasonably priced. So it was worth the hassle and the dumb set-up they have for check-out. And the funny smell.

8 comments:

Rachel Nye said...

Yummy! Pat thanks for the steaming advice, I too love most healthy foods, but find raw veggies, blah, I have to eat them with hummus, steaming will save some calories. Our rice cooker has a great steamer on top, since I don't like rice it will be good for steaming. I tried those "Just Fruits" snacks last night they were really good, it is just fruit that is dehydrated. I have not had any grains for 2 days straight now and I am feeling super good! Now for the weekend I do have to eating outings planned hopefully that will go smoothly, that is when it is tough!

Mo said...

Very Yummy! Thanks, Pat.

And, yeah, what _is_ that smell at YDFM?

And why do I taste that smell on anything wrapped in plastic... cheese, meat, fish. I even have to air out F's croissants.

They're so awesome in every other way, though.

Pat said...

Rae, I'm experimenting with grains myself. I've backed off on the Ezekiel bread...haven't had any in 3 days. I can't say that I haven't had any grains, but I've reduced it...the main source of grains for me is Ezekiel bread and oatmeal...I'm noticing how they make me feel...if they affect me negatively. I've also eliminated dairy the last few days just to see how I feel without it. I had already cut way back on dairy. Honestly, I can't say that I feel any different, but when I have it again that will probably be the real test.

Pat said...

Mo, I have not noticed that I brought the smell home with me...gosh, I hope not. When I unwrap the sliced turkey that I bought there, if it smells like that I won't be able to eat it. But I think it's just the smell of farm and barn and non-homogenized, non-processed life. We are so used to having everything sanitized and perfectly packaged to the point that we forget where the food came from.

Mo said...

I'm definitely smelling a different smell (oh the olfactory adventures we have). There's the meaty/fishy when you walk in the door, but, that's not the one I taste.
The smell that bothers me I always think of as "chemical dust." It's a little dusty musty and a little like a cleaner or something. No one else smells/tastes that?

The Orkins said...

Mo - I get it too. I have actually quit going there because of it. My clothes smell, I taste it on/in everything. There are tons of other people that are bothered by it too - just check out www.decaturmetro.com and run a search for Farmers Market. I also will no longer go there because of their no returns policy.

Pat - I am glad you are blogging again. I have found that reading your posts really helps me to stay on track, so thanks!

Pat said...

I didn't notice the chemical/dusty smell yesterday, and I haven't noticed it in my food that I bought. I checked the website you mentioned, Gnomes and read the post about this issue. there's a leter post where they say they went back and it seems to have been addressed. Don't know because I had not been there in years prior to yesterday. Of course sounds like there are lots of other issues with YDFM...

Mo said...

Gnomes:
That is WONDERFUL (that others smell it!) and sorta hilarious. I kept mentioning it to people and they thought I wascrazy, but I couldn't see how anyone _couldn't_ notice it. I took to filling out a comment card almost every time I went in (the ladies at the customer service always seemed incredulous about it--like they'd never heard there was a smell). But, it did seem as if things got better. I still smell it a bit sometimes, though it's nowhere near as bad.
Also, I've been lucky to never have to return anything...didn't know about that policy.